Monday, December 25, 2006

have santa forgoten some kids?

Santa Claus was checking his Christmas Wish List. "How odd," he murmured. "My list seems shorter than usual."
Far away in India, in the sunny town of Colvo, lived two children — Jamie and Annie Pinto who had written to Santa but their names weren't on the list.
On Christmas Eve Santa packed his sleigh with presents and said goodbye to Mrs. Claus.
"I'm sure I'll get a new Hot Wheels car for my collection," said Jamie. "Rohit said he'd come and play with me tomorrow.
"I've asked Nadia to come and see the new Barbie doll that I've asked Santa for," said Annie.
On Christmas day she rushed to the living room. But where were the presents?
"I've been so good and Santa hasn't sent me a single present," Annie cried.
Everyone came into the room and Jamie looked under the tree. There weren't any presents for him too.
"Well, there's no use in crying over it," said Mummy. "Let's have breakfast and then decide what to do."
They were finishing breakfast when Rohit and Nadia arrived.
No gifts from Santa
"We haven't got a single present," said Annie.
"May be Santa never got your letter," said Nadia. "Did you put a stamp on yours, Annie?"
"We both put stamps," said Jamie, "but how do we know if our letters reached the North Pole?"
"My uncle is the Post Master of the Colva Post Office," said Rohit. "Maybe he can help us."
Rohit's uncle agreed to help. "I know it's a holiday, but I'll open up the post office. Let's see if your letters were sent to the North Pole."
So they went to the Post Office. There were sacks of mail everywhere, waiting to be sent to different countries.
Rohit's uncle pulled a large register off a shelf. "Every letter sent from Colva is recorded here," he said. "Let's see... North America... North Korea... how strange! There's no North Pole. Your letters must still be here, for nothing has been sent to the North Pole this year."
"Let's search," said Rohit, and his uncle nodded.
"We've looked everywhere except that room under the stairs," said Jamie. "Can I have the key, uncle?"
The Post Master looked sheepish. "I don't have a key to that room," he said. "No one goes there, and no one knows what's in there."
"How annoying!" exclaimed Jamie. He gave the door a kick.
Letter demon
A terrible sound came from behind the door. "Could it be a monster?" they wondered. Annie peered through the keyhole. "There are piles of letters inside," she cried.
"I'm sure even monsters like Christmas cake," said Nadia. So Annie got a delicious looking wedge of Christmas cake and some freshly baked cookies. She placed it under the door where the monster could smell them. Five minutes passed, and then ten. But there was not sound from behind the door.
"It's no use," said Jamie, 30 minutes later. "I have an idea," said Annie. She ran out and returned carrying a huge envelope addressed to the "Mail Monster, Colva Post Office". She slid it under the door.
There was a rustling sound as the letter was pulled from under the door. They heard a rip, as the envelope was opened.
Boo! Hoo! Hoo!
There was a click and the door opened. There were piles of letters everywhere and in the midst of it all sat a very tiny, old man. He was clutching a Christmas card and crying.
"It's not a demon. It's a man," said Rohit.
"Who are you?" asked the Post Master.
Lonely old man
"I am the old Post Master," replied the tiny fellow. "I didn't have anywhere to go after I retired, so I live here."
Just then there was a loud jingling of bells.
"Ho-ho," cried a jolly voice. "What's going on here?" It was Santa Claus.
Jamie and Annie told him what had happened.
"I knew there was something strange about my Christmas list," said Santa. "And then I remembered the two children in Colva." He pulled out two presents from his sack and gave it to Annie and Jamie. Then he turned to the old man who was still sitting on the pile of letters. "Well sir, what do you have to say for yourself?"
"I suppose I must send all the letters," said the old man sadly.
"I can send an elf or two to help you with that," said Santa with a smile. "But I wondered if you'd come with me to the North Pole. I could use a Post Master there, for we get millions of letters every year."
The old man was overjoyed. He tucked Annie's Christmas card into his pocket and got onto Santa's sleigh.
"I promise to write a letter to you every Christmas," said Annie as she waved good-bye.

No comments: